Thursday 9 August 2012

When all else fails..wish upon a star...


Today I was inspired. Today I met a beautiful little boy who had an incredibly huge smile for someone who has spent the last 5 months in hospital. A little boy who was given the short straw in life sat there smiling like he had everything to live for in the world. 
Make a Donation to help us grant the wishes of beautiful children here
Being a volunteer for Make a Wish Foundation is one of the most fulfilling things I have ever done. Today was my first visit to a family. I couldn't help but smile at the liveliness of the children. It made me think of just how lucky I was to never have faced an illness like Leukaemia. 

When I was little I grew up with a lovely boy who was so talented and outspoken. He had the world in the palm of his hands. Aspiring to be both a comedian and archaeologist he never failed to put a smile on your face with his energy. He was diagnosed with Leukaemia when he was too young and his family was soon faced with the realization that he was fighting for his life. "Difficult time" does not even BEGIN to describe the trauma the entire family was thrown into. They never saw it coming, but who ever does? Every single treatment was attempted. They even had another child just in case the bone marrow was compatible...but it wasn't. Like the book 'My Sister's Keeper' it was heart wrenching to see such an incredible family crash and burn at fate's command.

They contacted Make a Wish Foundation and he asked to go and see a Dinosaur Park in the US...but when the time came...he was too sick to travel. His second wish was a swimming pool so that his beautiful little sister could enjoy it. His last wish, his last thought was for someone else. Why can't more people in the world be like these beautiful children? Why can't we all be just as selfless in moments when we have every right to be selfish? It is for these reasons that I chose to volunteer with some amazing people at Make A Wish. I am inspired by the smiles these children have and by their will to survive.

Make A Wish Foundation helps so many children live their life as they should until the last moments. They put smiles on children's faces and they allow families to relax for just one day. Every single cent donated or every second of your time is greatly appreciated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment