Sunday 5 May 2013

Saving June

Another book review by my friend Brooke!!  Saving June by Hannah Harrington was an amazing read and definitely worth checking out. It was based on a highly debated and topical issue of teen suicide...but also a focus on repairing the hearts of those left behind. 

Find more reviews by Brooke here: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/3179484-brooke


Okay. 

Whenever I pick up a book that centers on a topic as sensitive as suicide, I'm always a bit unsure of what to expect. This book definitely exceeded my expectations, and - sensitive subject aside - was well written, well developed and I loved every page of it.

Page one - we're introduced to Harper, whose older sister June has just taken her own life. Knowing how she feels yet finding it hard to process her emotions, Harper finds herself shattered and unable to express it to anyone. Her parents, though divorced, seemed to dote upon June (being the 'favourite' daughter), and now that she's gone, Harper can't help but feel as though it's up to her to hold what is left of her family together, a responsibility which she isn't comfortable with. 

Harper draws the line when her parents decide to split June's ashes (into his and hers urns) and, after discovering a "California" Post Card hidden away by June, Harper (with the help of her best friend and mysterious-dark-and-handsome-man-who-knew-her-sister, Jake), decides to set out on a road trip to California to scatter June's ashes and give her the farewell she would have wanted.

The journey that ensues is full of action, adventure and quirky characters. It took the reader on a journey which, while a teensy bit far fetched (I personally could never place that much trust in an infinite number of strangers), was fun, honest, raw, revealing and emotional. I initially struggled to connect with Harper, but after a while I began to really feel for her, she cried, I cried. She is so strong, yet so very vulnerable and has trouble letting people in - something I can certainly relate to. 

The relationship between Harper and her parents, while not lingered on too much, is the sad reality a lot of children face growing up in broken homes. One parent who is happier pretending their former life didn't exist. One can only image how it would feel to have gone through something like that, and it makes it easier for the reader to understand why Harper rebels like she does. Having a sister who was perceptively 'better' at everything would no doubt take its toll. Admittedly I wanted to shake Harper at times, I mean, her poor mother had just lost a daughter, and she was at times (in my opinion) a little bit selfish, but seeing the way her character grew made me that much more satisfied and content once I was done reading. 

I loved both Jake and Laney. They were both so much fun, I loved their wit and unique attitudes. I found their personalities to be easily likable and believable at the same time. While there wasn't much development with Laney, who (in my opinion) seemed to have a role in the story which was mostly based on supporting Harper (which I might add I don't have an issue with at all, I would have just liked to see more of her), the development with Jake certainly made up for that. He was so closed and seemingly unemotional at the beginning of the book, and I loved how much more we got to know of him, seeing his sensitive side, by the end. I, without a doubt, loved the way the numerous conversations between Jake and Laney were written, the playful banter, the raw (and sometimes harsh) emotions they threw at each other - it was captivating.

I have to agree with Nic here when I say that I loved all the talk about music! I learned a lot to be honest, and the playlists at the the end of the book were such a great idea. I'm definitely going to check some of the songs out.

I can't believe this was only Hannah Harrington's debut, I cannot wait to read more from someone who will be, no doubt, one to look out for. 

Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment